So, since I last posted, my little boy became a toddler. We had his 1st birthday party at a fun little place called Amazing Jakes. It is an arcade and mini amusement park all rolled into one and we had a blast! The birthday boy got to stay up waaaaay past his bedtime and he was just such a champ. He and his Grandma Gloria (Gigi) hung out all night while his parents played putt-putt, laser tag, and the stuffed animal claw game (yes, I am addicted to that thing for some reason). Jake played in the kiddie area, rode his very first Carousel, took a mini train ride with Mommy and Gigi, and discovered that he LOVES helium balloons. His Daddy won him a giant Amazing Jake's beach ball that helped him transition from just taking a few steps to actually walking!
That's right, I said WALKING! The day after Jake's birthday bash, (Saturday, August 16th for those who like specific dates)he decided it was time to start walking for REAL. The most steps he had taken before this day was probably 5 or 6. So our little boy started walking before his first birthday! We are so proud! I have a video clip, but of course I won't be able to upload it until I get my computer back from the shop or until this ancient thing decides to cooperate. Now, a week and a half later, Jake is a PRO at walking. He loves it and cruises around everywhere. He walks with his hands out in front of him like he is a mummy or a zombie It's super cute!
So, I am sure you are wondering, "if Jake is such a pro walker, why the title of this post?". Well, let me tell you. Ever since the 16th, when Jake isn't walking he does the stink bug crawl. You know, the one where his arms and legs are straight and he has his little bottom up in the air? He looks like an upside-down V, or for those of you who know yoga, he crawls in the Downward Dog position. It's quite amusing to watch, but on Monday (the 25th) something happened that wasn't so amusing.
I had just finished work, and Tim was working from home that day. My friend Rachael called and I hadn't talked to her in forever, so I asked Tim to watch Jake for a bit while I catch up with my friend (which I don't get to do very often without a little boy pulling at my pant leg or squealing in the backgroud). So I head to the bedroom to talk and just a bit later I hear Jake start bawling. I go out there to see what is going on and to make sure Tim was watching him, and hadn't gotten a work call or something. Well, Tim was with him and said he fell, so I didn't think much of it and went back to finish my phone call. When I was done, I went to go see what had happened since it seemed Jake had kept crying for quite a while. Tim told me that he was pretty sure Jake had chipped his two front teeth! WHAT!?!?!?
I thought he must be kidding. "Please be kidding, please be kidding" was all that kept going through my head. The look on his face told me it wasn't a joke. So I looked in my little buggers mouth, and sure enough his two front teeth were both chipped, ever so slightly. Jake had left the office, where Tim was working and stared to head down the front hall toward our living room. Tim got up to go get him. Jake loves to be chased and tries to get away from us as quickly as possible when we come after him. So I guess he was in his stink bug position, saw Tim coming and tried to make a run for it. Unfortunately, his body moved faster than his hands, and his arms fell out from under him and he went face first into the tile floor. :(
The good news is that our baby boy is okay and as sad as it is that he already has chipped teeth, it really could have been much worse, so we are thankful that was not the case. With two little boys around, I am guessing this won't be the last chipped tooth I see. I just pray that we can keep the ER trips to a minimum and that nothing will ever be too serious. I can't handle seeing my baby in pain!
So those are the BIG stories. Here are some other updates:
Jake had his 12 month appointment on his actual birthday. That's right, I am a mean mom and took him to get FOUR shots on his birthday. Happy Birthday baby! He wasn't very happy about the shots, but he is still growing well and is hitting all of the developmental milestones for his age, and even a few for the 15 month range. We have strict instructions to wean him from the bottle ASAP so that he won't even remember what its like to have a bottle by the time his brother is taking one. So far he is doing well. We have weaned him from every bottle except for his nighttime one, and we will take that one away in another week or so. Here are Jake's stats:
Weight: 20lbs, 12oz (25th percentile)
Height: 31 inches (90th percentile)
Head Circumference: 18.5 inches (75th percentile)
So Jake is tall and slender with a big head! He goes back for the second half of his flu vaccine next month, but after that he won't have to go in until he is 18 months!
Some new things Jacob is doing:
He loves to play catch and is pretty good with throwing the ball. We're still not sure which hand he prefers.
He has shaken his head side to side to say "no" before, but now we can tell he really knows what it means and he uses it more often. We are in trouble! Tim tried to get Jake to go to him the other day and he adamantly shook his head no. He did NOT want to go to daddy. He still kind of looks like a bobble head when he does it, so its hard not to laugh. We're going to have to work on that!
He loves books. He got a bunch of new books for his birthday and he loves to look through them and brings them to me to read to him. I hope I can keep him interested in reading as he grows up!
That's all I can think of for now. I am sure there are more, as he seems to do something new every day. We still just can't believe how much love we have for him. He amazes us all of the time and makes us laugh so much. It is hard to imagine that our hearts could be filled with any more love, but we know that in just a few short weeks (we are in single digit weeks now people!) our hearts will grow yet again to make room for our 2nd baby boy. It's incredible!
If you made it through this whole post, thanks! I know I get long-winded sometimes. I hope you all are doing well. I will try to upload pictures as soon as I can! Take care!
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
I forsee many trips to Urgent Care and the ER in my future...
Posted by
Steph and Tim
at
9:58 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh no I feel so bad! Poor Jake and his little chompers! Jack also has a chipped tooth I think it comes with the territory of having boys! Well even though it made your life stressful I am glad we got to chat. I miss you and I wish we could see each other more often! I can't wait to see baby #2!
Poor little guy. Glad it's not worse though. Harrison fell of the couch several months ago and it knocked his two front teeth ALL THE WAY UP INTO HIS GUMS! Not pretty...
And I just can't believe that you only have 2 months to go till 2.0! Holy cow. That pregnancy went fast for me. :) Bet you're wishing you could say the same.
Have a happy 26th birthday and safe trip!
Yup, that's a boy for you! Sounds a lot like Zac and Tyler with the clumsiness!
Post a Comment